Wrapping up March

It’s been an exhausting couple of weeks. The last few days have been truly exhausting.

Yesterday was the funeral for my dad. The night before, two of my kids’ friends spent the night to make the morning less crazy. I suddenly realized the night before that I’d have to deal with breakfast.

I cooked eggs with cheese, pasta, and English muffins. I group texted the kids who were still getting dressed. I asked them which items they wanted. My favorite answer was “both.” I think they weren’t awake yet.

We headed out to the church. Of course there was street cleaning that morning, so parking was bad. My little car was difficult, but parked legally. My kids were behind me, so they had more trouble finding a spot. They ended up parking in the street cleaning spots, and hoping we’d be out in time to get to the car before the meter maid. (They were)

I have a huge family, so there were many extended family members at the funeral. I stopped to chat with one group on the walk from my car. My cousin arrived and apologized for making us wait. I explained that she didn’t and that I was gearing up before I had to talk to people. They were not insulted that I informed them that they didn’t count as people, thankfully.

My daughter had asked me to bring the lint roller in from the car. I was talking, of course, and my daughter pulled the roller from my bag with me barely registering that she was doing it. Suddenly, while I was talking to a cousin, I realized that my bag was open. I hadn’t realized yet that I was holding the lint roller, greeting people. My cousin noticed and took it from me. I realized, after a while, that she was standing there greeting people with the lint roller in her hand. I took it back and put in in my bag. We agreed that it was a mom thing. We don’t really notice when your child hands you things. The dirty tissues in my pockets after the service were proof of that, too.

We were told that we weren’t having altar servers. But suddenly the gentleman from the mortuary brought me some envelopes and told me that there would be three altar servers and we needed to tip them. Great. I didn’t have cash and I had no idea how much to tip them. My cousin’s wife arrived and I sent her to find out from my mom how much to tip. I was looking around to see who I could borrow money from. My cousin from Chicago offered, but we don’t see her often, so it would be difficult to get the money back to her. I asked my aunt, who had cash in the car several blocks away. Not helpful. My cousin’s wife shook down her brother-in-law to come up with the balance that she didn’t have in her wallet. My uncle heard about it and paid everyone back, so now we owed him the money. He was not worried about it.

We were asked to be seated, and the priest came up to tell us that the guitarist didn’t know that he was supposed to be at the service. No one from the mortuary scheduled him he said. We started the ceremony and it was very quiet. Suddenly, two women jumped in and set up a microphone and one started playing the piano. The other started singing Ave Maria. It was unexpected but appreciated.

We finished up the services and went on the reception.  There were so many people there, I didn’t get to talk to everyone.   These photos were taken before many of the people arrived.

So, as I was driving to work today, I thought that it was a good thing that my mom cancelled the bagpipes, otherwise we might have gotten a very strange rendition of Ave Maria. I know it’s been done, but it’s not really a great version.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s